Day of Event
22nd Parkinson’s Unity Walk (PUW) - Registration is now open!
Walk Day will be held on Saturday, April 23, 2016 (Rain or Shine)
For the past few years we have asked for and received the 4th Saturday in April as the date for the Unity Walk. Unfortunately this year it happens to follow the first night of Passover. We tried everything in our power to change this date, however, there are circumstances beyond our control. We are sensitive to those who will be observing Passover and respectfully offer our apologies. Going forward, we should not have this issue again for many years.
Join us for a gentle 1.4 mile walk in Central Park!
100% of donations go to Parkinson’s disease research funded by seven major U.S. Parkinson's foundations.
In addition to raising awareness and funds for research, we are also a day of community and education! Visit informational booths which will include Ask the Healthcare Experts, and meet with representatives from sponsors and foundations sharing information and resources with members of the Parkinson’s community.
Our event hashtag is #puw2016.
REGISTRATION OPEN: 8:30 am to 11:30 am
BOOTHS OPEN: 8:30 am to 12:30 pm
WALK ROLLING START: NEW FOR 2016! 8:30am through 11:30am. The Parks Department has asked that we are off the Walk route by 12noon.
Register and roll! Start walking when you’re ready rather than waiting for the Walk to start. After you check in at the Registration tent, enjoy the Walk route and informational booths at time that’s right for you, and at your own pace. Our emcees will still be shouting out to our teams at the Start and Finish of the Walk throughout the event.
BANDSHELL PROGRAM: Continuous throughout the event. Click here for schedule.
- Register, be counted and let us know you’re here!
- Check in at the Registration tent once you’ve arrived at the Walk. Confirm that you’ve already registered. If you haven’t, give us your name and contact information so we can share information with you about the Walk.
- Pick up your PUW hat, PUW bag, and PUW button. Insert the number of years you’ve been participating in the Walk on the button. Whether this is your 1st year or your 22nd, carry the bag and wear the hat and button proudly and share how long you’ve been a PUW walker. NEW for 2016!
- Turn in your donations.
While there is no registration fee, we encourage all registered walkers to raise funds on behalf of the Walk – 100% of donations go to research.
Any of our Registrars can help you on the day of the Walk. Go to any seated Registrar; there are no special lines; make only one stop to check-in, pick up your button, bag, and hat, and turn in donations. All walkers are registered as individuals, even if they are part of a team -- there is only one envelope per walker so you will be sure to get credit as the fundraiser. We recommend that you allow extra time to go through Registration.
2016 PUW DEADLINES
Team Registration Deadline: All teams must be registered prior to the day of the Walk.
(Team registrations will not be accepted on the day of the Walk.)
Deadline to Give and Turn in Donations: June 6, 2016. All donations received by June 6, 2016 will be credited to the 2016 Walk.
(The Parkinson's Unity Walk issues tax receipts for donations of $250.00 or more that were made offline via check or credit card. For lesser amounts, a canceled check or credit card bill is sufficient under current tax law. If you would still like a receipt, please click here to request one.)
PARKINSON’S DISEASE INFORMATION AND RESOURCES AT THE WALK
Be empowered and take advantage of the educational information available at the Walk. Learn about resources for people living with Parkinson's and their families. In addition to the organizations listed below, visit the Ask the Healthcare Experts booth on Margot Zobel Way.
- PUW Sponsors
- Parkinson's Disease Organizations Benefitting from Unity Walk Donations
- Additional Parkinson’s Disease Organizations at the Unity Walk
- Movement Disorders Centers
Complimentary snacks and bottled water will be served at the Refreshments Booth.
Stop by the Team Photo Booth on Margot Zobel Way between 8:30 am -12:30 pm and receive a printed copy of your photo to take home with you. You will also receive a digital copy via email and can download the photo from the vendor’s website and forward it to your team members and supporters.
Drop off your Team t-shirt at the Team Photo Booth for inclusion in the Parkinson's Unity Walk Memory Quilt.
Top 50 Team Captains (per this year's donation deadline) are entered into a raffle drawing for the Parkinson's Unity Walk's Memory Quilt.
Entire Walk route is wheelchair accessible. We do not provide wheelchairs. Click here for rentals.
Golf Carts are available to pick up walkers who require assistance. Look for waiting areas for Golf Carts if you require transportation.
SOME HELPFUL TIPS
- Light snacks and drinks will be provided. Pack a heavier lunch and extra drinks based on your needs.
- Each participant will receive a tote bag to hold information from our sponsors. If you think you’ll need it, bring a light bag/backpack to help you hold extra items while you walk. Parkinson's Unity Walk Staff and volunteers can not hold personal belongings while participants walk.
- Make a sign in memory or honor of a friend or loved one at the Make-a-Sign Area.
- Central Park is a smoke-free environment. Please observe general Park Rules and Regulations.
- Strollers and dogs are allowed in Central Park and along the Walk route. Please be considerate of fellow walkers. Dogs must be on leash starting at 9 am, per Park rules. Dog owners must observe and refer to Central Park's website for additional rules and information about dogs in the Park.
ASK THE HEALTHCARE EXPERTS BOOTH
Stop by this booth and have your questions answered by a:
- Movement disorder specialist
- Movement disorder nurse practitioner
- Physical therapist
- Occupational therapist
- DBS programmer