Fundraise > Fundraising Ideas > 10 Steps to a Successful Fundraising Event
Brainstorm with your friends and family. Come up with an idea that is fun, manageable and has buy in from those who are prepared to work on this with you.
Prepare an event budget as part of your planning process.
Figure out how you are going to pay the expenses associated with your event. There are several options. You may:
- Approach sponsors for monetary and/or in-kind donations. What benefits can you offer your sponsors? Have your written material prepared when you approach them.
- If you receive an in-kind donation, complete the In-Kind Donation form and email or mail to the Unity Walk office, PO Box 275, Kingston, NJ 08528, so the donor will receive an acknowledgement for tax purposes.
- Provide documentation to a sponsor of the Walk’s status as a non-profit organization. You can provide them with the PUW’s EIN # 13-3842415 or contact the PUW office to request a copy of our 501(c)(3).
- Pay the expenses yourself or together with a group of supporters.
- Use donations to pay for the expenses associated with your event and donate the net proceeds to the Parkinson’s Unity Walk.
- If you have any questions about how to structure the finances of your event, please call the Unity Walk office before you finalize the details and start promoting your fundraiser.
What is your plan to raise money?
- Will you charge an admission/registration fee?
- Will there be one level or tiered admission/registration fees?
- Will you encourage discretionary donations?
- Will there be a silent auction?
- Will you charge for food and beverages?
Keep in mind:
Sponsors and donors will receive an acknowledgement for tax purposes only if their check is made payable to Parkinson’s Unity Walk or if you send a check representing their cash donation to the Parkinson’s Unity Walk along with their name and address.
Work out the logistics – date, time, place, venue, space constraints, etc. Leave yourself enough time for planning depending on the complexity of the event.
Contact the venue to confirm their requirements to secure the space (e.g., permits, deposits and applications). Possible venues include but aren’t limited to schools, parks, places of worship, bars, and restaurants.
Contact the PUW office to discuss your plans or if you need any assistance.
Spread the word! Develop a strategy to promote your event.
- You now have the option of downloading the PUW logo from a link on “My HQ”. Individual participants and teams may use this logo on any printed and web based materials used to promote your fundraising event on behalf of the Unity Walk (e.g., flyers, posters, individual fundraising events on behalf of PUW, or team t-shirts.)
- Publicize your event through email, Facebook, twitter, flyers and posters in your community.
- Prepare a press release and send it to the news media in your local community.
- Post on online community calendars.
Add your event to the PUW calendar.
Enjoy your event and take satisfaction in knowing that you have raised funds for Parkinson’s research!