Event Info > Day of Event
21st Parkinson’s Unity Walk (PUW)
April 2015 (Rain or Shine)
The 21st Parkinson's Unity Walk will be held on a Saturday in April 2015. (Check back in early December 2014 for the official date.)
Join us for a gentle 1.4 mile walk in Central Park. Visit informational booths along Margot Zobel Way which will include Ask the Healthcare Experts, and representatives from our sponsors and major U.S. Parkinson’s foundations.
Walking is optional. Stay and enjoy the day’s activities!
Twitter hashtag: #puw2015
72nd Street Bandshell, Central Park, New York, NY. Use 72nd Street Park entrance on Fifth Avenue or Central Park West.
REGISTRATION OPEN: 8:30 am to 1:00 pm
BANDSHELL BOOTHS OPEN: 8:30 am to 2:00 pm (Team Photos and Make A Sign)
BOOTHS OPEN: 9:00 am to 2:00 pm (On Margot Zobel Way)
WALK KICK-OFF: 9:45 am
WALK BEGINS: 10:00 am
PROGRAM POST WALK: 11:00 am (Approximately)
- Map of Margot Zobel Way - Check back for 2015 map
- Day of Event Timeline - Check back for 2015 timeline
While there is no registration fee, we encourage all registered walkers to raise funds on behalf of the Walk. Remember, 100% of donations go to research.
Go to the Registration booth if you need to do any of the following:
- Register for the Walk (if you have not done so online or by mail).
- Pick up your Unity Walk T-shirt (if eligible).
- Registered Walkers who donate or fundraise $100 by the day of the Walk and are present at the Walk will receive a T-shirt, while supplies last, (for a team, average raised per team member is taken into account).
- Turn in your donations.
Any of our Registrars can help you on the day of the Walk. Go to any seated Registrar; there are no special lines; make only one stop to pick up shirts and turn in donations. All walkers are registered as individuals, even if they are part of a team -- there is only one envelope per walker so you will be sure to get credit as the fundraiser. We recommend that you allow extra time to go through Registration.
2014 PUW DEADLINES
Team Registration Deadline: All teams must be registered prior to the day of the Walk.
(Team registrations will not be accepted on the day of the Walk.)
Deadline to Give and Turn in Donations: June 6, 2015. All donations received by June 6, 2015 will be credited to the 2015 Walk.
(The Parkinson's Unity Walk issues tax receipts for donations of $250.00 or more that were made offline via check or credit card. For lesser amounts, a canceled check or credit card bill is sufficient under current tax law. If you would still like a receipt, please click here to request one.)
PARKINSON’S DISEASE INFORMATION AND RESOURCES AT THE WALK
Be empowered and take advantage of the educational information available at the Walk. Learn about resources for people living with PD and their families. In addition to the organizations listed below, visit the Ask the Healthcare Experts booth on Margot Zobel Way.
- PUW Sponsors
- Parkinson's Disease Organizations Benefitting from Unity Walk Donations
- Other Parkinson’s Disease Organizations at the Unity Walk
REFRESHMENTSComplimentary snacks and bottled water will be served at the Refreshments Booth. Bottled water will also be available at the Water Station by the Bandshell.
Use the Team Meeting Area near the Bandshell if you are looking for a place to meet your group.
Stop by the Team Photo Booth by the Bandshell between 8:30am - 2:00pm and receive a printed copy of your photo to take home with you. You can also download a digital copy of the photo from the vendor’s website and forward it to your team members and supporters.
Golf Carts are available to pick up walkers who require assistance. Look for waiting areas for Golf Carts if you require transportation.
SOME HELPFUL TIPS
- Light snacks and drinks will be provided. Pack a heavier lunch and extra drinks based on your needs.
- Each participant will receive a tote bag to hold information from our sponsors. If you think you’ll need it, bring a light bag/backpack to help you hold extra items while you walk. PUW Staff can not hold personal belongings while participants walk.
- Use the Team Meeting Area if you are looking for a place to meet your group.
- Make a sign in memory or honor of a friend or loved one at the Make-a-Sign Area.
- Central Park is a smoke-free environment.
- Strollers and pets are allowed in Central Park and along the Walk route. Please be considerate of fellow walkers. Dogs must be on leash starting at 9 am, per Park rules. For the most up to date information, general Park information about pets can be found on Central Park.com.
ASK THE HEALTHCARE EXPERTS BOOTH
Stop by this booth and have your questions answered by a:
- Movement disorder specialist
- Movement disorder nurse practitioner
- Physical therapist
- Occupational therapist
- DBS programmer